Why care about mental health?
You may have seen it more and more these days, especially during special times like May’s Mental Health Awareness Month, but is it something to consider in your every day life?
Whether you are aware or not, your mind and body is influenced by your every day stress.
Our brain is a physical part of our body; it’s all connected. Medical health care and mental health care should not be seen differently. Let’s open a discussion and break the stigma! We need to take both very seriously! Are you aware that we can rewire our brain? Science is revealing more and more that we have the power to heal, get better, and do better.
Here are some key takeaways, and great reasons to begin thinking about how to enhance mental health care:
- Mental health is essential to everyone’s overall health and well-being, and mental illnesses are common and treatable.
- A healthy lifestyle can help to prevent the onset or worsening of mental health conditions, as well as chronic conditions like heart disease, diabetes, and obesity. It can also help people recover from these conditions.
- For those dealing with a chronic health condition and the people who care for them, it can be especially important to focus on mental health. When dealing with dueling diagnoses, focusing on both the physical and mental health concerns can be daunting – but critically important in achieving overall wellness.
- Humor, spirituality, recreation, animal companionship, and work-life balance are important for everyone, but may be of special importance to people also living with chronic health conditions and those who care for them.
- Finding a reason to laugh, going for a walk, meditating, playing with a pet, or working from home once a week can go a long way in making you both physically and mentally healthy.
- The company of animals – whether as pets or service animals – can have a profound impact on a person’s quality of life and ability to recover from illnesses. A pet can be a source of comfort and can help us to live mentally healthier lives.
- Sometimes life is far from funny but finding humor in a situation can lift moods with laughter and help people to better deal with and overcome difficult experiences.
- Whether you go to church, meditate daily, or simply find time to enjoy that cup of tea each morning while checking in with yourself – it can be important to connect with your spiritual side in order to find that mind- body connection.
- Living a healthy lifestyle may not be easy but can be achieved by gradually making small changes and building on those successes.
- Finding the balance between work and play, the ups and downs of life, physical health and mental health, can help you on the path towards focusing both #4Mind4Body.
There are resources and opportunities to assist with your mental health. You do NOT have to do this alone! You are not alone! Healing and enhancing your quality of life is a gift for everyone!